Friday, February 1, 2008




Write about anything to do with color… those are rather broad instructions. As I said earlier in class, for me color and its strong tie to memory affect me the most. When I was younger, I loved picture books. It wasn’t until I was much older that I paid any attention to the text at all. I’d flip through the pages only to pause at long interval at the pages that held illustrations. It all really left a major impact on me to this day. The way a line created a face or how this certain color struck me in such a way that I would return again and again just so I could stare and experience it again. These childhood memories come back when I’m doing “adult” chores such as grocery shopping. A certain box will just have that certain look to it and I immediately think back on the image in own of my children’s books. The color of the cookie on the bag will bring me back to one of my favorite Bearstein bears books. I know that the cookie probably isn’t going to be that tasty, or that I really don’t need to be spending that much money on a bag of cookies but… I can’t help it. It’s too late and I’m doomed to wasting my money. The strong connection as been made in my mind and I simply must buy it.
The traditional black and white checkered kitchen floor has always had a special place in my heart as well. I may be staring at a floor in my friends house but in my mind I’m looking at a book in which the main character, a mother, has just cleaned her kitchen floor. She has also baked a batch of chocolate chip cookies and everyone in the neighbor hood wants one. Unfortunately its been raining so her spotless floor gets covered in mud. The book ends happily as her son offers to help her clean the floor and they eat cookies together. It’s hard to explain but when ever I come across a color that reminds me of something, I can’t help but smile at the old memory that’s resurfaced

No comments: